Following a lifetime’s interest in collecting Art and Antiques, Solo Antiques was established in 2004 when I became a full time dealer. I specialise in beautiful and stylish period items with an emphasis on quality and condition:
- Art Nouveau and Art Deco Sculpture (mainly bronze and ivory) including Demetre Chiparus, Ferdinand Preiss, Pierre Le Faguays, Joe Descomps, Ernst Seger, Victor Seifert, Franz Bergman, Josef Lorenzl
- Art Nouveau and Art Deco Glass (mainly European) including Galle, Daum, Loetz, Lalique, WMF, Argy Rousseau, Rene Lalique.
- Arts and Crafts of the period 1880 to 1935. Mainly Copper and Silver with the emphasis on style and quality including W A S Benson, Newlyn, Keswick School of Arts & Crafts, Hugh Wallis, Archibanld Knox , Liberty, WMF, Duchess of Sutherland, Birmingham Guild, John Pearson
I am happy to provide condition reports and additional photographs of any pieces. Please contact me if you have any questions. I exhibit at quality, vetted fairs throughout the UK including Antiques for Everyone and Olympia and am a member of BADA, LAPADA and CINOA and have done television work for both BBC and ITV. Shipping can be arranged throughout the world.
I act like a filter – filtering out reproductions, repaired, ugly, and the commonplace. If I’m offering it for sale, it’s passed my inspection. And that’s why you buy from Solo Antiques.
Some items we offer for sale incorporate or are made from antique elephant ivory. We deplore the illegal poaching of elephants, but it is important to understand that any antique items made from ivory that are offered for sale by Solo Antiques were created at a time when ivory was a widely available material. African and Asian elephants then existed in such large numbers that their survival in the wild was not threatened. Since Roman times ivory has been used by craftsmen as a singularly responsive material with its subtle, glowing colour. It can be cut, carved or etched and has been used for hundreds of years to create historically and religiously significant works of art, as well as many objects of a more utilitarian nature. The value of all these objects lies in the craftsmanship applied to their creation and not in the ivory material itself.
Genuine antiques containing worked ivory can be sold in the UK and transferred to most EU countries without a licence. Should you wish to take antiques containing ivory to a country outside the EU it will be necessary to obtain CITES permits for them in advance of shipment. This is a straightforward process with which we will be happy to assist.
Find us at Quality Antiques Fairs
We exhibit at quality vetted fairs throughout the UK including The BADA Fair in London, Olympia and Antiques for Everyone and are members of BADA, LAPADA and CINOA and Antiques Are Green. We will be exhibiting at Antiques for Everyone at the NEC ( stand L 41) and also at both the Summer and the Winter Olympia Antiques and Fine Art Fairs. Please let me know if you would like complimentary tickets for these or any of our events.
Please email me to request tickets for any of the fairs we are attending or go to the contact us page to request further information.
We also deal in the following:
- Galle, Daum, Rene Lalique, Argy-Rousseau,Loetz, Decorcehemont, Amalric Walter and other Masters of European Glass
- Art Nouveau and Art Deco Sculptures in Bronze and Ivory including Chiparus, Preiss, Colinet, lorenzl,Le Faguays
- British Arts and Crafts including Newlyn, Keswick School of Industrial Arts, John Pearson, Liberty
- European Decorative Arts