Art Nouveau Moser large salad or fruit dish and 9 smaller dishes in green and clear glass

£495.00

Antiques Reference 2516

Art Nouveau Moser large salad or fruit dish and 6 smaller dishes in green and clear glass

Categories: , ,

Description

Description

Art Nouveau Moser large salad or fruit dish and 9 smaller dishes in green and clear glass. Each dish is edged with a gold band decorated with jewelled flowers and leaves. The centre of each flower is a decorative glass “jewel”. German c 1900. Generally in excellent original condition with a little light wear to the gold band and one of the jewels in the large dish has some damage

History

The original company of Ludwig Moser & Söhne, founded in 1857 by Ludwig Moser in Karlovy Vary, was a glass workshop initially devoted to polishing and engraving blank glass pieces only later did the company begin designing and making its own art glass products. Engraving blanks, from Loetz, Meyr’s Neffe and Harrachov was performed by the workshop in the early years. At the Vienna International Exhibition of 1873 he was awarded a medal for merit; that same year he was appointed the exclusive supplier of glass to the Emperor Franz Joseph I. He would win numerous other awards in the coming years, including medals at the World Exhibitions in Paris in 1879, 1889 and 1900, and the World Exhibition in Chicago in 1893. Ludwig took over a glass factory in Meierhofen bei Karlsbad in 1893 to create a full service glassworks employing 400 people under the name of Karlsbaderglasindustrie Gesellschaft Ludwig Moser & Söhne where his sons Gustav and Rudolf also worked.

In 1904 Moser received a warrant to supply the Imperial Court of the Emperor of Austria and four years later became supplier to Edward VII. In 1915 the company exhibited at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition and was again awarded a medal, which Louis Comfort Tiffany and Charles Tuthill thought well deserved due to the outstanding quality of the hot glass applied decorations on coloured Bohemian glass. Art Nouveau glass pieces were produced Moser with surface decoration with natural themes and simple cameo glass. They also used the Eckentiefgravur technique employing a sharp angular body deeply cut in the form of intaglio flowers.

Following the death of his father in 1916, Leo Moser took over the direction and the company expanded significantly resulting in their recognition by a Grand Prize award at the Paris International Exhibition of Decorative Art in 1925. They also exhibited in London, Belgium, Italy and Vienna

Date c 1900

Condition Generally in excellent original condition with a little light wear to the gold bands and one of the jewels in the large dish has some damage

Dimensions Large dish 26.5 wide and 4.5 deep smaller dishes  13cm diameter 2 cm deep

Would you like more images of this item or require further detail about this piece? Here at Solo Antiques we are always happy to answer questions and provide more information.

You can chat with us online through our chatbox, write us a message in our contact form or alternatively call 01995 671096 / 07973119739 or email us at [email protected]