Keswick Arts and Crafts copper vase
A charming Arts and Crafts copper cylinder vase from the Keswick School of Industrial Arts. Decorated with a design of linked spirals. Stamped KSIA to base. Approx height 19.5 cm. Excellent original condition
Rubbings from the settles, meal arks and kists of Cumberland were used as design sources for the School work, giving rise to designs held to demonstrate a continuity of Norse design influence in the Lake District. A similar vase is shown on page 15 of the loving eye and skilful hand by Ian Bruce
The KSIA was established in the Lake District in 1884 by Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley and his wife Edith and ran for 100 years until 1984. Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley (1851-1920) was the vicar of Crosthwaite Church, a Canon of Carlisle and a founder member of The National Trust.
The conditions imposed for attending the class were that each man should be locally born and lead a temperate and steady life.
‘The Aim of this school is to find remunerative employment for working men and others, in spare hours, or when out of work, by teaching them such art industries as can be profitably carried out in their own homes’.
The KSIA joined the HAIA in November 1884 at which time it had 30 memers aged between 15 and 50. Unlike the other metalwork guilds within the HAIA the KSIA also exhibited at the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society’s exhibitions.In 1894 the KSIA moved into its purpose built workshops on Lake Road, on the front of the building is the motto ‘The Loving Eye and Patient Hand Should Work With Joy and Bless This Land’.KSIA produced high quality and well designed wares in copper, brass, pewter, stainless steel and silver. Much work in silver was produced for churches throughout the land. In the 1930’s a large part of the Schools work was made in ‘Firths Staybrite’ a form of stainless steel which for a long time was very successful. As well as everyday items stainless steel jewellery was also made inspired by Norse designs in the late 1960’s.Apparently every article made at the School was stamped with the school mark, with nothing been allowed to be sold by individual members. However pieces are seen which are attributable to KSIA (as they are to the same design as stamped pieces) unmarked and others are seen with the stamp of W H Mawson and E Harrison.
Date c 1895
Condition Excellent original condition.
Dimensions Approximate height 19.5 cm
Would you like more images of this item or require further detail about this piece? Here at Solo Antiques we are always happy to answer questions and provide more information.
You can chat with us online through our chatbox, write us a message in our contact form or alternatively call 01995 671096 / 07973119739 or email us at [email protected]