A pair of Art Nouveau iridescent glass vases with silver overlay in a design of Shamrock leaves

/, Glass/A pair of Art Nouveau iridescent glass vases with silver overlay in a design of Shamrock leaves

A pair of Art Nouveau iridescent glass vases with silver overlay in a design of Shamrock leaves

£595.00

Antiques Reference 2280

A pair of Art Nouveau iridescent glass vases with silver overlay in a design of Shamrock leaves

 

Categories: , Tag:

Description

Description

A pair of Art Nouveau iridescent glass vases with silver overlay in a design of Shamrock leaves – 6 to each vase, with interconnecting stems.  The vases are unsigned and produced in Bohemia circa 1900 by the Poschinger glassworks at their Buchenau glassworks. Beautiful iridescence with very subtle colours and excellent detailing to the silver overlay

History

Iridescent glass has been popular since the discovery of iridescent roman glass in Pompeii in the late 19th Century. Iridized glass was first presented at the Vienna exhibition in 1873 by J G Zahn and his example was soon followed by Lobmeyer.

Art Nouveau, ornamental style of art that flourished between about 1890 and 1910 throughout Europe and the United States. Art Nouveau is characterized by its use of a long, sinuous, organic line and was employed most often in architecture, interior design, jewellery and glass design, posters, and illustration. It was a deliberate attempt to create a new style, free of the imitative historicism that dominated much of 19th-century art and design. About this time the term Art Nouveau was coined, in Belgium by the periodical L’Art Moderne to describe the work of the artist group Les Vingt and in Paris by S. Bing, who named his gallery L’Art Nouveau. The style was called Jugendstil in Germany, Sezessionstil in Austria, Stile Floreale (or Stile Liberty) in Italy, and Modernismo (or Modernista) in Spain.

The von Poschinger barons are among the oldest families in Bavaria; the first Poschinger was mentioned in a document as far back as 1140. In 1547, Duke Albrecht V. award the Poschingers a family coat of arms, which is still maintained to this day. With Joachim Poschinger’s acquisition of the Zadlershütte glassworks in 1568, the now 450-year history of the Poschingers as glassworks and estate owners in the Bavarian Forest begun. The glassworks in Frauenau and the corresponding Oberfrauenau estate were acquired in 1605. Over the course of the centuries, the family also operated glassworks in Spiegelhütte, Buchenau, Oberzwieselau and Theresienthal. Only the glassworks in Frauenau still remains, standing firm as the only one of its kind. It is the oldest glassworks in Germany with the longest family tradition of any glassworks worldwide.

Date Bohemian c 1900

Condition Excellent original condition.  Some slight tarnishing to the silver top on one vase.

Dimensions height 11cm and diameter 6 cm

Would you like more images of this item or require further detail about this piece? Here at Solo Antiques we are always happy to answer questions and provide more information.

You can chat with us online through our chatbox, write us a message in our contact form or alternatively call 01995 671096 / 07973119739 or email us at [email protected]