
£575.00
Antiques Reference 3031
A silver mounted baluster form claret jug and stopper by James Dixon
A silver mounted baluster form claret jug and stopper. Silver handle and neck hallmarked James Dixon 2007 Sheffield. In original James Dixon box Excellent original condition. Approximate height including stopper 34 cm.
History
James Dixon & Sons started life as a company under the name Dixon & Smith in 1806. James went into partnership with Thomas Smith as manufactures of Britannia metal and Sheffield plate goods, with premises at 16 Silver Street, Sheffield.
The company expanded steadily throughout the 19th century. They started in 1806 with a workforce of 8 Manufactures, 31 Workmen and 19 Boys making shoe buckles and spoons. In 1820 they moved to larger premises a mile away at Cornish Place (which was to remain their factory) and the employees had risen to 12 Manufactures, 99 Workmen and 91 Boys. A year later Smith retired and James’ son William joined the firm. The new partnership was formalised in 1825 with the name changing to James Dixon & Son. James’s son in law, William Fawcett joined in 1828 and in 1836, with the inclusion of a second son also called James, the name changed again to James Dixon & Sons. Around this time they began to use nickel silver for cutlery and from 1848 produced items in electroplate. The mark EPNS found on a number of their items refers to Electro Plated Nickel Silver. They are often described as also working in pewter but the company wrote to The Connoisseur in 1918 to dispel the myth that they ever did.
The famous trumpet and banner trademark was granted in 1879 although it had been in use a few years before this. Several future generations joined the management of the company (sometimes first working on the shop floor to get a good understanding of the business) and the name remained unchanged until they became a limited company in 1920. By 1906 Dixon’s had a workforce of 900, had continually expanded the premises at Cornish Place to become a very large factory (with approximately 1000 windows) and produced a wide range of metal goods with pattern running into the 100s.
In the 1880s they worked with the innovative designer Christopher Dresser as part of his Art Furnishers’ Alliance and their ability to produce items not only in silver but also EPNS, which made good design more accessible to a large audience, perhaps appealed to him. When company founder James Dixon, retired in 1842 he said that ‘when he started the business he was determined that nothing should go out of the factory bearing his name that would disgrace him and that this was the keynote to reputation of the firm’.
Date English hallmarked Sheffield 2007
Condition Excellent original condition.
Dimensions Approximate 10 cm tall
Would you like more images of this item or require further detail about this piece? Here at Solo Antiques we are always happy to answer questions and provide more information.
You can chat with us online through our chatbox, write us a message in our contact form or alternatively call 01995 671096 / 07973119739 or email us at [email protected]
£2,500.00
£375.00
£695.00
£2,950.00
£795.00
£2,850.00
£795.00
£795.00